Monday, November 14, 2011

Do You Know Anybody Who Is Not Getting Older!


Is it just me; but, it seems that a lot of people around me are getting older!  I mean getting old faster, faster than they did few years ago.  Let me give you a trick to keep people guessing.  It works better if people don’t see you for a few weeks.  Last year about his time Linda and I decided to lose some weight.  Linda lost 67 pounds and I lost 87.  This spring I decided to shave my beard and the Dutchmen in me kicked into high gear.  I decided that if I cut my hair shorter, I could go longer between haircuts. At the same time I changed from parting my hair in the middle to the side.  When I got back to Michigan, people were so confused, they did not realize that I had gotten older; or maybe they were just being kind when they said I looked younger.  Any way, Linda has got an almost redone husband without the cost of a messy divorce.
Why do I mention all this and what does it have to do with my line of thought in my blogs.  I have been talking about getting to know your God for quite a while; and in so doing we have looked at the redemptive names of Jehovah in the Old Testament.  Then we started following Jesus in the Gospel of Matthew as He ministered to the people and showed us His Father.  In all of this, we have stressed that Jesus Christ is “the same yesterday, and to day, and for ever”.
We all change.  We all get older!  Things that once were important, don’t seem to be so important anymore.  We start going to bed earlier and waking earlier.  Our memory is not as sharp. We seem to be doing the same things our parents did, things that we laughed at, vowing that we would never do those same dumb things.
But GOD never changes!  He never gets old!  In fact, time was made for man.  Genesis 1 says, “In the beginning”.  This was not the beginning for God.  It was “the beginning” as far as man is concerned.  Before the sun, moon and stars, there was no night and day; therefore, no 24-hour day, no weekend, no week for that matter.  He was always Jehovah-Jireh.  He was always Jehovah-Rapha.  He was always Jehovah-tsidkenu.
Yesterday, I mentioned the woman who touched Jesus and she was healed.  Mark and Luke mention something that Matthew does not.  They mention that she was healed the second that she touched Jesus.  Jesus did not do or say anything.  They tell us that Jesus perceived that power had gone out of Him and asked, “Who touched me?” After she stepped forward and admitted that it was her that touched Him. He said, “thy faith hath made thee whole”.   She was already healed, He just explained the “how” and the “why”.
How many people touched Jesus that day and never received anything?  How many got close; but never reached out that final inch?  How many of us go to church for years and never reach out in a “lay it all on the line” faith?  How many of us have not grown in our faith for years?  We have grown old; but have not grown spiritually!  We are still at the infant stage, the “doubting Thomas stage”, the “I’ll believe it when I see it” stage.
Jesus has not changed!  His Father has not changed!  The power that was present that day, the power to heal, was not a “one day special”, a “K-Mart blue light special”!  It was still there in Acts when Peter’s shadow fell on the sick and they were healed!  It did not leave when Jesus ascended.  Regardless of what you may believe or what your church may say, the Word says that Jesus is the “same yesterday, and to day, and for ever”. 
The last time I checked we are still some where between yesterday and forever!
By the way, I do know someone who is not getting older, my Father!

No comments: