Sunday, November 6, 2011

Did You Know Jesus Was From Missouri!


Jesus must have been from Missouri, the Show Me State.  You say, Where did you get that crazy idea?”  I got it from the Bible!  You say, “Show me!”
Let me explain.  Missouri is known as the “show me state”.  It is not the official state motto,; but it is on their license plates.  It conotates a certain self-deprecating stubbornness and devotion to simple common sense."  Jesus had this devotion to simple common sense.
Let’s look at Matthew 9
1And he entered into a ship, and passed over, and came into his own city. 2And, behold, they brought to him a man sick of the palsy, lying on a bed: and Jesus seeing their faith said unto the sick of the palsy; Son, be of good cheer; thy sins be forgiven thee. 3And, behold, certain of the scribes said within themselves, This man blasphemeth. 4And Jesus knowing their thoughts said, Wherefore think ye evil in your hearts? 5For whether is easier, to say, Thy sins be forgiven thee; or to say, Arise, and walk? 6But that ye may know that the Son of man hath power on earth to forgive sins, (then saith he to the sick of the palsy,) Arise, take up thy bed, and go unto thine house. 7And he arose, and departed to his house. 8But when the multitudes saw it, they marvelled, and glorified God, which had given such power unto men.
Matthew says that Jesus, seeing their faith, said to the sick man, “thy sins be forgiven thee”.  How could Jesus see their faith and who were the “their” Matthew was referring too? In order to find the answer, we must look to the Gospels of Mark and Luke.  Both Mark and Luke report the same experience, Mark in the second chapter, verses 3-12 and Luke in chapter 5, verses 18-26.  Mark and Luke go into more detail.  Mark tells us the paralyzed man was carried “by four”, just four, no more.  Now we know whose faith Jesus “saw”.  But how do you see faith?  James tells us:
Show me your faith without your works, and I will show you my faith by my works. 19You believe that there is one God. You do well. Even the demons believe—and tremble! 20But do you want to know, O foolish man, that faith without works is dead?
James must have been from Missouri also!
How did Jesus see their faith?  Mark and Luke both tell us that they ripped open the roof.  Now, that’s “show me faith”!  Can you imagine people tearing down the doors of your church.  Do realize all the liability issues with allowing some one on the roof of the church?
How did Jesus respond?  He said, “Man, thy sins are forgiven thee” and He was not referring to tearing off the roof.  This sent the scribes and Pharisees through the roof!  Jesus responded: Whether is easier, to say, Thy sins be forgiven thee; or to say, Rise up and walk?

Today most religious people are OK with the “forgiveness of sins”; it’s the “healing” that gets people all excited.  They’re afraid of getting radical.  Jesus said they’re equal. Remember Psalm 103:2, Bless the LORD, O my soul, and forget not all his benefits: who forgiveth all thine iniquities; who healeth all thy diseases. 

His Father is Jehovah-Rapha, the God that healeth thee.

P.S. Some of the disciples were also from Missouri:

Philip
John 14:8-11
Philip saith unto him, Lord, show us the Father, and it sufficeth us. Jesus saith unto him, Have I been so long time with you, and yet hast thou not known me, Philip? he that hath seen me hath seen the Father; and how sayest thou then, Show us the Father? Believest thou not that I am in the Father, and the Father in me? the words that I speak unto you I speak not of myself: but the Father that dwelleth in me, he doeth the works. Believe me that I am in the Father, and the Father in me: or else believe me for the very works’ sake.

Thomas
John 20:25
Except I shall see in his hands the print of the nails, and put my finger into the print of the nails, and thrust my hand into his side, I will not believe.

The “show me” faith of the four, Jesus rewarded.

The “show me” lack of faith of Philip and Thomas, Jesus chided.

Which do you have?
  “blessed are they that have not seen, and yet have believed”

Are you an open vessel to receive God’s blessings?

No comments: