Thursday, August 25, 2011

Those darn socks

OOPS, My mistake!!

It should have read those "darned" socks.  How many people remember "darned" socks, not the kind that your grandma hand knitted but the ones your mom or wife repaired, after holes were worn into them.  How many of you wore them to grade school, middle school, high school, college, grad school, post grad school. Well, I did.  Never thought much of it.  I just thought everyone did.  To this day, I don't know if I was normal or unique.  How many slept in an unheated upstairs that you could see your breath in the winter.  I did. Again, maybe this was normal,  I don't know.  Were we poor, growing up? I really don't know.  I never considered the thought.  However, I do remember that at least once a week we had "bread and milk" for dinner.  No, not a sandwich.  We took bread, buttered it, placed it on our dinner plate and poured hot milk over it.  (The bread was usually dry from being old.)  We then proceeded to eat it with a fork.  That was dinner.

BUT, today these sort of things would be considered unfit living conditions, child endangerment or at very least damaging the child's psyche.  This upcoming year in certain school districts in Michigan, all students will be given free breakfasts and lunches; even though only 40% qualify.  Why?  Because we don't want to stigmatize children.  How many people receiving food stamps or welfare are wearing "darned " socks?  How many of these same people have cell phones, let alone smart phones with multiple apps?  How many have flat screen TV"S with cable with premium channels?

Why is that my concern?

Because our country is going broke and we wonder why. DAH!!!  We act like we all deserve this stuff.  Hollywood tells us we do.

James tells us:
Where do you think all these appalling wars and quarrels come from? Do you think they just happen? Think again. They come about because you want your own way, and fight for it deep inside yourselves.  You lust for what you don’t have and are willing to kill to get it. You want what isn’t yours and will risk violence to get your hands on it.  You wouldn’t think of just asking God for it, would you?

Does this sound like the "flash mobs" occurring in our cities this summer where they are looting stores?

Most of us think of lust as being only in regard to sex, but it covers many things

Oh that we could say as Paul said:  I have learned in whatever state I am, to be content

No comments: