Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Why did the chicken lay the egg?




Now I realize that I have an unfair advantage over most people reading this because I spent the first 20 years of my life living on a chicken farm and spent one summer during college working in a hatchery cleaning incubators; but this is not a hard question.  Don’t over think this!  Don’t make it harder than it is.  You don’t need a college decree or doctorate in chickology!  That is from the Greek  Όρνιθα meaning “chicken” and λόγος, -logy, meaning "study of”.

 It is the same reason that cows give milk.

It is what they are!  It is what they do!  It is part of their DNA.  The chicken does not think about laying eggs, at least if they are female chickens (hens).  The cow does not think about giving milk if it is a female cow that has given birth to a calf recently.  It just happens!

Why do I bring this up?  Well, I just heard a Bible teaching on why Jesus healed.  Now let me first say that I liked the teaching.  I learned something; but the teacher tried to figure out why Jesus healed the sick.  He over thought it.  One of the first lessons that I learned in my matriculations through the education systems was: the most obvious answer is probably the right answer. 

In Exodus 15: 26, the Lord spoke to Moses at Marah, the place in the wilderness with the bitter water.  Note, this was three days after He, the Lord, had destroyed Pharaoh and his army in the sea.  The people were complaining to Moses and Moses cried out to the Lord.  God told him to cut down a tree and cast it into the water and it became sweet.  Moses was told to make a statute and God made a covenant with the people and said:

"If you will carefully obey the Lord your God, do what is right in His eyes, pay attention to His commands, and keep all His statutes, I will not inflict any illness on you I inflicted on the Egyptians. For I am the Lord who heals you (Jehovah-rahpa)."

If He, the Lord, was Jehovah- rapha to the Israelites, and Christ was obtaining for us a new and better covenant with better promises (Hebrew 8), do you think that He was still Jehovah-rapha in the New Testament.  Jesus was healing because He was doing His Father’s work.  It was who He was and who He is, today.  God did stop being Jehovah-rapha once the last apostle died!  We were told to carry on with His work, doing the same and greater works:

The person who trusts me will not only do what I’m doing but even greater things, because I, on my way to the Father, am giving you the same work to do that I’ve been doing. John 14:12  The Message

You don’t need a degree in theology to figure this one out.  The disciples did not have theology decrees but they could understand what Jesus told them. 

Remember, satan is the greatest theologian and he will burn in Hell, FOREVER!!!!!!

No comments: