Monday, February 15, 2016

“Who are you going to believe”?



My grandfather, on my mother’s side, came over from the Europe, not sure either Netherlands or Germany, when he was 14, again not sure exactly.  He came over by himself.  I have never heard any details of how he came to settle in Hamilton, Michigan.  I assume that there were other immigrants from the same area in Europe that drew him to the area. He never went back and he died when I was a young child, so I have no memory of him.  He had 12 children that he raised on a large farm (by the standards in the early 1900’s). In all the conversations with my mom, aunts and uncles, I never heard much said about my grandfather and never heard anything about my great grandfather.   The family farm was passed on to my uncles and part of the farm is currently owned by one of my cousins.  All my aunts and uncles have passed on and I am not aware of any of my generation farming any of the farm.  The farm that my grandfather raised 12 children on, is for all intents is gone.  The land is obviously there; but the business is gone. I think a portion is farmed by children of one of my first cousins.

I assume many of you have similar stories to tell.  Times change and life changes.  We are all soon forgotten.  Very few family businesses survive multiple generations. 

Now let’s imagine that you establish a manufacturing business and want to design a plan to maintain it and pass it on for hundreds of years; but you have only one son.  So you decide to adopt 12 sons to help your only son.  You then encourage and equip those 12 sons to adopt more kids to continue the business and you lay out a plan.  You develop a long term business plan.  Give it to your only son and he mentors the adopted sons.  You tell your son that you not only want the business to continue but grow and expand, to go from a small local business to statewide, to national and global.  You establish a multi-billion-dollar account from which your descendants can withdraw, a virtual endless source of revenue.  You tell them that you want these descendants to do the same as your only son did, and even greater. 

BUT, BY THE WAY,

only the original 12 adopted sons will have the same tools that your own son had.  They had manufacturing robots, computer controlled machines and the most up to date equipment.  After the original 12 were dead, the other kids could not use these machines.  They would have to figure other ways of manufacturing without the use of electricity.  They were directed to grow the business but could not have the same tools.

Sounds ridiculous!  No one would do that!

BUT, that is what is taught in most churches in America today.  We, the adopted children of the Father, are given the great commission to carry the gospel to the uttermost parts of the earth:

"All authority has been given to Me in heaven and on earth. Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all things that I have commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age."

‘Go into all the world and preach the gospel to every creature.  He who believes and is baptized will be saved; but he who does not believe will be condemned.  And these signs will follow those who believe: In My name they will cast out demons; they will speak with new tongues; they will take up serpents; and if they drink anything deadly, it will by no means hurt them; they will lay hands on the sick, and they will recover."

We are told to do the same works as the only begotten Son:

"Most assuredly, I say to you, he who believes in Me, the works that I do he will do also; and greater works than these he will do, because I go to My Father”

In spite of this, we are told by the majority of today’s preachers and teachers, that the church today does not have the same power and authority as the original 12 apostles, to lay hands on the sick and cast out demons. Many will not explicitly say it in words but by observing their behavior, it is obvious that it is not believed by the lack of teaching and/or by their attitude and behavior.  All of this, in spite of the fact that God confirmed the preaching and teaching of Stephen and Barnabas, not of the 12, with signs and wonders.  In spite of the fact that the 70 that Jesus sent out in Luke 10 and they returned:


Paul warned Timothy that in the last days men would have, “a form of godliness, but denying the power thereof”.  Denial does not necessarily mean verbal denying.  It can mean a state of denial, in the sense that someone will not acknowledge something as true, such as a character flaw or sin.  Just because someone will not acknowledge verbally, does not negate the issue.  The fact that the church in America does not follow Christ’s directives in respect to it’s delegated authority and power, is evidence of it’s denial.  If I refuse to use the electric lights in my house and choose to use candles and oil lamps, I am effectively denying the power of electricity to light my home.  That is what is happening today in America’s churches.  We “pray for the sick” but we don’t “PRAY FOR THE SICK” like Jesus and the early church did, like in Acts and in the manner instructed in James 5.

In closing, a quote from Groucho Marx, “Who are you going to believe”?


No comments: