Thursday, April 2, 2015

CHREASTERS




Some of you are wondering, “What is a Chreaster?”  According to the Urban Dictionary, a Chreaster is “Those Christians who only show up to religious services on Christmas and Easter. 

With Easter being a few days away, I thought I might share some thoughts.  I have always been amazed that many people, that are not overtly Christian, want to have a pastor officiate their wedding, baby dedications/baptism and funerals.  They are also probably the ones that show up on Christmas and Easter.

I have also met individuals that consider themselves “Christians” who do not believe that Jesus was God’s son, the second person of the trinity.  They believe Him to be a “good man”, a great prophet; but not God.  Some “Christians” do not believe in the virgin birth or His resurrection.  I find this to be in the words of Star Trek’s Spock “not logical”.

C. S. Lewis expressed it best in his book Mere Christianity:
I am trying here to prevent anyone saying the really foolish thing that people often say about Him: I’m ready to accept Jesus as a great moral teacher, but I don’t accept His claim to be God. That is the one thing we must not say. A man who said the sort of things Jesus said would not be a great moral teacher. He would either be a lunatic on a level with the man who says he is a poached egg or else he would be the Devil of Hell. You must make your choice. Either this man was, and is, the Son of God: or else a madman or something worse. You can shut Him up for a fool, you can spit at Him and kill Him as a demon; or you can fall at His feet and call Him Lord and God. But let us not come with any patronizing nonsense about His being a great human teacher. He has not left that open to us. He did not intend to.

I challenge everyone reading this who may fall into this category, to read to any of the gospels and then logically answer the question that Jesus asked his disciples, Who do YOU say that I am?

 Whom do men say that I am?  And they answered, John the Baptist: but some say, Elias; and others, One of the prophets. And he saith unto them, But whom say ye that I am? And Peter answereth and saith unto him, Thou art the Christ.” Mark 8: 27-29

No comments: