Sunday, April 5, 2015

Burger King, Frank Sinatra and Elvis




What do Burger King, Frank Sinatra and Elvis have in common or maybe the better question is, what makes them different?  Burger King does it your way.  Frank Sinatra and Elvis did it their way. 

Most people are very familiar with the song My Way.  Paul Anka wrote the lyrics but Frank Sinatra is the artist that made the song popular. According to Wikipedia over 50 artists have recorded or produced versions of this song. The lyrics are:

And now the end is near
And so I face the final curtain
My friend I'll say it clear
I'll state my case of which I'm certain

I've lived a life that's full
I traveled each and every highway
And more, much more than this
I did it my way

Regrets I've had a few
But then again too few to mention
I did what I had to do
And saw it through without exemption

I planned each charted course
Each careful step along the byway
And more, much more than this
I did it my way

Yes there were times I'm sure you knew
When I bit off more than I could chew
But through it all when there was doubt
I ate it up and spit it out, I faced it all
And I stood tall and did it my way

I've loved, I've laughed and cried
I've had my fill, my share of losing
And now as tears subside
I find it all so amusing

To think I did all that
And may I say not in a shy way
Oh no, oh no, not me
I did it my way

For what is a man what has he got
If not himself then he has not
To say the things he truly feels
And not the words of one who kneels
The record shows I took the blows
And did it my way

Sinatra was the first to make the song popular, Elvis made the song more popular.  Elvis sang it during his show, Aloha from Hawaii in 1973 but ironically, it was not released as a single until after his death in 1977. What makes it ironic is when you read the lyrics realizing how and under what conditions Elvis died.

Both Elvis and Sinatra led very troubled lives and struggled with personal demons.  Sinatra was manic-depressive, married 4 times and often associated with crime bosses. Elvis although deeply religious, was addicted to drugs.  In the end, I think they would have said that they had regrets if they were honest.

Although Sinatra considered himself Catholic, his personal statements contradicted the Catholic faith.  Elvis was raised in a Christian home, sang gospel and, in fact, the only Grammys he won, were all for gospel songs.  I would not presume to know where either is today.  But I do know that doing it “my way” will end in Hell.

In the end, what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?  Or what shall a man give in exchange for his soul? Mk 8:36

Hell will be full of people who “did it their way”, with “many regrets”. 

And in hell he (the rich man) lift up his eyes, being in torments, and sees Abraham afar off, and Lazarus in his bosom. He called out, ‘Father Abraham, mercy! Have mercy! Send Lazarus to dip his finger in water to cool my tongue. I’m in agony in this fire.’ Luke 16:23-24

On this Easter remember Jesus said, “I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No one gets to the Father apart from me.” John 14:6

Heaven is for real.  Hell is for real.  Heaven is FOREVER!  Hell is FOREVER!

Life is not Burger King.  Jesus Is THE KING, not the Burger King.

Where will you spend “FOREVER”?

There is a way which seemeth right unto a man, but the end thereof are the ways of death. Prov. 14:12

No comments: