Monday, January 9, 2012

NO! ME do it!


Anybody who has raised a toddler has heard this phrase when they try to tie shoes, to putting on a coat, to cutting their meat.  It is the first sign of independence.  When they are little, we are anxious to get a little relief from doing everything for them and we welcome the independence except when it turns into the “terrible two’s”.  From there it is a short span into the teenage years.  The “ME do it “ attitude just grows as we age.  We are the “me” generation.  I deserve to be happy!  I deserve to have that flat screen TV!  I deserve to have 4 weeks vacation!  I deserve those benefits!
A far cry from most of our parents! 
Most of our parents just wanted an opportunity to put three meals on the table, a roof over our heads and one car in the garage.  They were not of the mindset that they deserved anything!
This change in attitude originated in the 60’s and summed up in Frank Sinatra song, “I Did It My Way”.
And now, the end is near
And so I face the final curtain
My friend, I’ll say it clear
I’ll state my case, of which I’m certain
I’ve lived a life that’s full
I’ve traveled each and every highway
and more, much more than this
I did it my way

Regrets, I’ve had a few
But then again, too few to mention
I did what I had to do
and saw it through without exemption

I planned each charted course
each careful step along the byway
but more, much more than this
I did it my way

Yes, there were times, I’m sure you knew
When I bit off more than I could chew
But through it all, when there was doubt
I ate it up and spit it out
I faced it all and I stood tall
And did it my way

I’ve loved, I’ve laughed and cried
I’ve had my fill; my share of losing
and now, as tears subside
I find it all so amusing

To think I did all that
and may I say – not in a shy way
No, oh no not me
I did it my way

For what is a man, what has he got?
If not himself, then he has naught
to say the things he truly feels
and not the words of one who kneels
the record shows I took the blows
and did it my way!

  Contrast this to the words of Jesus:
“Enter by the narrow gate; for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction, and there are many who go in by it. 1 Because narrow is the gate and difficult is the way which leads to life, and there are few who find it. Matthew 7:13-14
“I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me. John 14:6
Yesterday I related to you my desire that each of you reading this blog join me on this journey, which will re-unite us together in heaven.  The first step on this journey is to admit that I (we) can’t do it my (our) way.
It really is “His way” or “the highway”!
“Our way” is the highway that leads to an eternal living hell!  “His way” end/starts in eternal living in heaven with HIM!
Which will it be?

No comments: