Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Do You Want God To Be Your Co-pilot?



(I want to thank our Ft Myers Pastor, Dr Richard Powell for the planting the seeds of thought for today’s blog.)
“God Is My Co-pilot” was a 1945 movie based on the 1943 book by the same name, and written by Brig. Gen. Robert L. Scott.  Scott was a WW II fighter ace credited with 13-20 aerial victories flying a P-40 Warhawk over China.  Today, the saying is used to signify that God is flying with us.  At first glance, it sounds scriptural and spiritual to want God as you co-pilot.  BUT, when you really think about it, God does not want to be your or my co-pilot.  He wants to be THE pilot.  He wants to be in control of your life.  He wants to be THE Lord of your and my life.  We are not sitting in the cockpit with Him.  We are in the back of the plane.  There is room for only one pilot on His plane.

Matthew 16:24-26
“If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me. 25For whosoever will save his life shall lose it: and whosoever will lose his life for my sake shall find it. 26For what is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul? or what shall a man give in exchange for his soul?”
Mark 8:34-38
“Whosoever will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me. 35For whosoever will save his life shall lose it; but whosoever shall lose his life for my sake and the gospel’s, the same shall save it. 36For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul? 37Or what shall a man give in exchange for his soul? 38Whosoever therefore shall be ashamed of me and of my words in this adulterous and sinful generation; of him also shall the Son of man be ashamed, when he cometh in the glory of his Father with the holy angels.”
Luke 9:23-26
“If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross daily, and follow me. 24For whosoever will save his life shall lose it: but whosoever will lose his life for my sake, the same shall save it. 25For what is a man advantaged, if he gain the whole world, and lose himself, or be cast away? 26For whosoever shall be ashamed of me and of my words, of him shall the Son of man be ashamed, when he shall come in his own glory, and in his Father’s, and of the holy angels”
John is the only gospel writer who does not record this proclamation by Jesus.  John however records a different proclamation, which says basically the same thing:
John 14:6
“I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.”
He is either Lord of your whole life or He is Lord of none of your life!

1 comment:

David Daffern said...

You "nailed" it!