Saturday, March 5, 2016

National Anthem of Hell: “I Did It My Way”



Recently, our Pastor commented that the national anthem of hell is, “I did it my way”.  I remembered the song that Frank Sinatra sang but not the lyrics, so I looked them up.
And now, the end is near
And so I face the final curtain
My friend, I'll say it clear
I'll state my case, of which I'm certain
I've lived a life that's full
I've traveled each and every highway
But more, much more than this
I did it my way
Regrets, I've had a few
But then again, too few to mention
I did what I had to do
And saw it through without exemption
I planned each charted course
Each careful step along the byway
And more, much more than this
I did it my way
Yes, there were times, I'm sure you knew
When I bit off more than I could chew
But through it all, when there was doubt
I ate it up and spit it out
I faced it all and I stood tall
And did it my way
I've loved, I've laughed and cried
I've had my fill my share of losing
And now, as tears subside
I find it all so amusing
To think I did all that
And may I say - not in a shy way
Oh no, oh no, not me
I did it my way
For what is a man, what has he got
If not himself, then he has naught
To say the things he truly feels
And not the words of one who kneels
The record shows I took the blows
And did it my way
Yes, it was my way

The lyrics reminded me of another singer who said something similar:

“I will ascend to the heavens; I will raise my throne above the stars of God; I will sit enthroned on the mount of assembly, on the utmost heights of Mount Zaphon.  I will ascend above the tops of the clouds; I will make myself like the Most High.

Both the lyrics and statement reflect the attitude of a very narcissistic individual.  I know nothing about Frank Sinatra and my intention is not to make a statement about Sinatra; but the attitude.  The last statement was made by Lucifer when he fell from heaven.  The best description of satan is in the book of Ezekial:
You were the seal of perfection,
full of wisdom and perfect in beauty.
You were in Eden,
the garden of God;
every precious stone adorned you:
carnelian, chrysolite and emerald,
topaz, onyx and jasper,
lapis lazuli, turquoise and beryl.[a]
Your settings and mountings[b] were made of gold;
on the day you were created they were prepared.
You were anointed as a guardian cherub,
for so I ordained you.
You were on the holy mount of God;
you walked among the fiery stones.
You were blameless in your ways
from the day you were created
till wickedness was found in you.
Through your widespread trade
you were filled with violence,
and you sinned.
So I drove you in disgrace from the mount of God,
and I expelled you, guardian cherub,
from among the fiery stones.
Your heart became proud
on account of your beauty,
and you corrupted your wisdom
because of your splendor.
So I threw you to the earth;
I made a spectacle of you before kings.
By your many sins and dishonest trade
you have desecrated your sanctuaries.
So I made a fire come out from you,
and it consumed you,
and I reduced you to ashes on the ground
in the sight of all who were watching.
All the nations who knew you
are appalled at you;
you have come to a horrible end
and will be no more.

Now most of us would never have the philosophy of the song or at least admit it, right?  But, how many of have said, “I want this” or “I deserve it, I worked hard all my life”.  “I don’t like the songs we sing in church”.  “I can’t worship when little kids are in the service”.  “I don’t like the color of the carpet”.  “I’m going to spend my kid’s inheritance”.  “I deserve this car”.  “I deserve this house”. Sure sounds a lot like the song, “I did it my way”.

Well, you know what you and me deserve?  HELL!  Do we really want what we deserve?  Think about it!  Who taught you?  Who gave you your start in life?  Who instilled in you your value system?  Who taught you your work ethic? There but for the grace of God go I.

What have we passed onto our kids, our grandkids?  Have they and do they see you modeling that value system.  Do they see you pray?  Do you value your family above things?  Do you value your grandkids enough to sacrifice for them?  Does your church value people above brick and mortar?

It used to be that our public schools reflected the values the the church.  When prayer and the Bible were taken out of the school, what did the church do?  NOTHING, except bemoan the fact.  Are the churches supporting “home schooling” or Christian education?  Are the churches even encouraging either?  Is there any dialogue regarding it?  Look at average parking lot at any church, the average home, the cell phone bill, the cable TV bill, the Starbuck’s bill, and the list goes on!  When we examine our legacy, does it say, “I did it my way”?






No comments: