Wednesday, December 2, 2015

It ain’t about was isn’t, It’s about what is!



I know that the title is incorrect grammar; but it says what I want to say.  We often spend a lot of time thinking about what we don’t know rather than concentrating on what we do know.  The same thing when it comes to worrying.  We worry about the unknown that may happen rather than concentrate on all of the good things we have happened.  When it comes to what we believe about God, we do the same thing.  We fret over what God has not told us, rather than searching out what He has.  We desire special personal revelation while ignoring the written revelation of His Word.  What have we done to deserve a special word from God when we are too busy or lazy to read the Word that He has given us?

Sadly, the same is often true in regards to our theology, our view of God.  Often we create a god in the image of the traditions of our denominations or non-denomination.  I know that I am guilty of this.  Sadly, the same is true in most churches today.  I don’t know why this surprises me; but, ever time I see it or hear, I get frustrated. 

One of my greatest frustrations deals with what most churches teach regarding “healing”.  When teaching about “salvation”, most churches that I have attended, they say they take the scriptures literally; but, when it comes to healing, everything becomes spiritualized, even when the context does not support that view.  I have heard the instruction in James 5:14-15, (Is any one of you sick? He should call the elders of the church to pray over him and anoint him with oil in the name of the Lord. 15 And the prayer offered in faith will make the sick person well) regarding anointing with oil said to be referring to spiritual healing, even though that there is never a single instance in scripture where Jesus or His disciples anointed with oil for spiritual healing.

We are told that the Lord we serve is Jehovah raphe, “I am the Lord that healeth thee (Ex. 15:26)”; but that healing is not guaranteed.   We are told that we know this from Paul’s “thorn in the flesh”.  The speaker will say, “scholar’s think …..”.  I personally don’t care what scholars think.  If you look in the context of the entire letter (2 Corinthians), it is not necessary to consider what scholars think.  When Paul wrote the letter, it was not divided into chapters.  It was a letter.  Chapters were added later for convenience.  Jesus quoted scripture; but never quoted a verse or chapter because there were none.  Well, the “thorn” appears in chapter 12:7.  In the same sentence, we are told that it was a messenger from satan to buffet him.  In the previous chapter Paul just got through saying:
Of the Jews five times received I forty stripes save one. Thrice was I beaten with rods , once was I stoned , thrice I suffered shipwreck , a night and a day I have been in the deep;  In journeyings often, in perils of waters, in perils of robbers, in perils by mine own countrymen, in perils by the heathen, in perils in the city, in perils in the wilderness, in perils in the sea, in perils among false brethren;  In weariness and painfulness, in watchings often, in hunger and thirst, in fastings often, in cold and nakedness. Beside those things that are without, that which cometh upon me daily *, the care of all the churches.  Who is weak , and I am not weak ? who is offended , and I burn.  If I must needs glory , I will glory of the things which concern mine infirmities. 
Talk about “buffeting by satan”.  Read the context!  Does Paul once say that he was sick.  Does he ever say that he had a severe eye disease, like “scholars think”?  Yet that is what we hear taught.  Paul said he that to keep him from becoming conceited because of the great revelations God had showed him, the thorn was given to him.  It is hard to be conceited when you are getting beat up, stuck in prison, stuck on an island or swimming for your life.

The other one I like is the crippled beggar in Acts, whom Peter healed.  It says that he was brought to the temple court daily to beg, so Jesus must have walked by him and left him there crippled; therefore, we know that Jesus did not heal all.  First of all, the beggar did not ask for healing, he asked for money.  James, through Holy Spirit, “says you do not have because you do not ask”.  Jesus healed all that came to him in faith.  He healed all who asked.   Scripture says:
-all who touched him were healed” Matt 14:36
-and he healed all their sick” Matt 12:15
-When Jesus landed and saw a large crowd, he had compassion on them and healed their sick” Matt !4:14
-Great crowds came to him, bringing the lame, the blind, the crippled, the mute and many others, and laid them at his feet; and he healed them.  Matt 15:30
-Large crowds followed him, and he healed them there. Matt 19:2
-The blind and the lame came to him at the temple, and he healed them. Matt. 21:14

 I could go on; but, I think you get the point.

 Scripture also says:
Now He could do no mighty work there, except that He laid His hands on a few sick people and healed them.  And He marveled because of their unbelief.  Mark 6:5-6
Now He did not do many mighty works there because of their unbelief. Matt 13:58

Jesus responded to those who touched him or reached out to Him in faith, believing that He would heal them.

As for the guarantee, Mark said:
            And these signs will accompany those who believe: In my name they will drive out demons; they will speak in new tongues; they will pick up snakes with their hands; and when they drink deadly poison, it will not hurt them at all; they will place their hands on sick people, and they will get well."

James said:
            Is any one of you sick? He should call the elders of the church to pray over him and anoint him with oil in the name of the Lord. And the prayer offered in faith will make the sick person well; the Lord will raise him up.

Jesus said: If you abide in Me, and My words abide in you, you will ask what you desire, and it shall be done for you.

This sounds like a guarantee to them that believe (that they will be healed if they abide in His Word).
Abide means to live in, not just visit.

If I can’t trust these promises, how can I trust John 3:16.
For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.

Base your theology on what is written in the Word of God, not what isn’t!   Base your theology not on your experiences or preconceived ideas!  I admit that my faith is smaller than a mustard seed.  I have not moved any mountains.

Jesus said:
            "If you can believe, all things are possible to him who believes." Immediately the father of the child cried out and said with tears, "Lord, I believe; help my unbelief!" Mark 9:23-24


“Dear Lord, I believe.  Help my unbelief.  Forgive my fears.  Forgive my doubts.  Forgive me for creating a god in my own image; rather than getting to know you more intimately.  Forgive me for not abiding in your Word, not living in your Word, not allowing your Word to live in me.  Forgive me for not doing your Word in my life.  Forgive me for not trusting you.  Forgive me for trusting man’s medications more than your Word.  Forgive me for following human physicians’ directions while ignoring the directions from the you, the Great Physician.  Forgive me for being so arrogant that I fail to acknowledge my unbelief.  Forgive my pride in believing that I have great faith.  Forgive me for basing my image of you on my experiences rather than your Word. Forgive me for not trusting your Word, for rewriting your Word according to what I see happening around me.  Forgive be for not taking the responsibility for my unbelief.  Forgive me for not seeing you working in my life to make me more Christ-like.  Amen”

No comments: