Sunday, March 11, 2012

WARNING: NOT FOR THE FAINT HEARTED! For the sake the “little ones”, am I better dead than alive?




Today’s blog is inspired by this morning’s sermon by our Ann Arbor pastor.  What I am going to discuss was not the point of his sermon, but it was in the text that was the basis for his sermon.  I know that he reads these blogs and I don’t want to blame him for my thoughts; but as he was teaching, the thoughts for this blog came to me.  I often have a second sermon going on in my head stimulated by something said.  This was the case this morning.  I also don’t want to make conclusions that are not supported by scripture.  Nor will I say that these thoughts were the “Lord speaking to me”.  These are my thoughts and my response to Pastor David’s sermon.

The text was Mark 9:38-50.  To set the context, Jesus had just descended from the Mount of Transfiguration with Peter, James and John.  As they came down, they were met with a large crowd who was questioning the other disciples.  In the crowd, was a father who had brought his demon-possessed son to the disciples to be healed.  If you recall the events, you remember that they were not able to cast out the demon.  Jesus, not worrying about being politically correct or offending them, rebuked them publically.  How rude?  How inconsiderate of the self - image?

“O faithless generation, how long shall I be with you? how long shall I suffer you?”

Jesus went even farther.  Jesus challenged the father, telling him:

“If thou canst believe, all things are possible to him that believeth.”

Now, the pressure was on him.  The disciples obviously did not have the right amount or type of faith.  He had just rebuked them for their lack of faith.  How would the father respond.

“straightway the father of the child cried out, and said with tears, Lord, I believe; help thou mine unbelief”

What was Jesus response:

“he rebuked the foul spirit, saying unto him, Thou dumb and deaf spirit, I charge thee, come out of him, and enter no more into him.”

Within this context, Jesus took a child and said:

”Whosoever shall receive one of such children in my name, receiveth me: and whosoever shall receive me, receiveth not me, but him that sent me”.

After some more discussion with His disciples regarding one His followers, not one of the twelve, casting out demons; in which Jesus rebuked them:

“Forbid him not: for there is no man which shall do a miracle in my name, that can lightly speak evil of me. 40For he that is not against us is on our part.”

What follows is what I am going to focus on.  Jesus said:

“whosoever shall offend one of these little ones that believe in me, it is better for him that a millstone were hanged about his neck, and he were cast into the sea.”

Have you or I ever offended a “little one”.  This weekend visiting our family friends here in Michigan, three instances of situations came up in our discussions where “little ones”, were offended by fellow Christians.  Two of these involved clergy in area churches and one involved a lay person intimately tied to a neighboring church.  Two were situations involving adultery and one was someone losing their temper publically in front of children.  It is so sad to hear or see these things happen.  We have come to expect adultery outside of the church; but, sadly, it is just as common within the church.  What are we teaching our children?  What are teaching the “little ones”? 

I am reminded of Paul’s admonition to the Corinthians:

“For he that eateth and drinketh (the Lord’s supper or Eucharist) unworthily, eateth and drinketh damnation to himself, not discerning the Lord’s body. 30For this cause many are weak and sickly among you, and many sleep (are dead).”

Couple this admonition with:

“whosoever shall offend one of these little ones that believe in me, it is better for him that a millstone were hanged about his neck, and he were cast into the sea”

Maybe God takes this stuff seriously!  Maybe He would rather have some people dead, than offending “little ones”.  This is not to say that these people are in hell; but, maybe he is trying to protect the “little ones”?

Wow!!!  Am I better dead than alive?  What is better for the “little ones”?

1 comment:

David Daffern said...

Hey, when I am listening to others preach it is normal for the Holy Spirit to be talking to me about something that the pastor is not focusing upon. I'm glad the Spirit works in you the same way!